05 April, 2008

Chill and dull day

In hope of seeing migrating geese and other birds I climbed this morning to the migration observation tower of Kärsä cliffs. After an hour I gave up - all migrating birds I saw were some Chaffinches (Fringilla coelebs), Fieldfares (Turdus pilaris) and Woodpigeons (Columba palumbus). The weather was probably too bad, there was rain approaching from south west, wind was chilly and visibility was less than 10 km.
Local forest birds instead were more interesting; 3 Black Woodpeckers (Dryocopus martius), Hazel Grouse (Bonasa bonasia) - first for this year, Redwing (Turdus iliacus), 3 singing Eurasian Treecreepers (Certhia familiaris) etc.
After leaving the forests I headed to nearby fields and open water locations - but they were today almost empty, nothins special to mention.
But during evening I heard from our backyard a male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos minor), first for me during this year. Well, two new birds for 2008, not so bad day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment