09 March, 2008

Nice surprise today evening

Nice surprise today evening in Viidennumero. I was driving to Hämeenlinna to take my younger son to swimming school. In Viidennumero we saw a big flock of gulls, standing in the edge of ice and open water. Mostly European Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus), about 100 of them. There was also some 17 Great Black-backed Gulls (Larus marinus). And when I was about to leave, I saw it: a 2nd year Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus), a small rarity from Arctic seas. Very nice, it's always cool to find rarities by myself.

About half an hour later I checked also the gulls of Hämeenlinna, but nothing special there, just on a rough calculation 800 Herring Gulls and 3 Great Black-backed Gulls.

Snow has started to melt today - it's really wet outside, and warm. I can't wait for the next week, I'm sure that many migratory birds will arrive now!

No comments:

Post a Comment