26 October, 2009

Not bad weekend, although I had no time for birding

Last weekend was very busy, so I had no time for real birding. Still I was lucky to see some nice birds. On Saturday, when I came back from Tampere with my boys, we noticed a small bird sitting on power wire in Mahlianmaa area. It was a Eurasian Pygmy Owl (Glaudicium passerinum), very qute once again - but unfortunately I had left my camera home.

On Sunday I did some shopping in Kuljun Kartano, a big department store north from Valkeakoski. This time only Roni was with me. He's just 10 years old, but very sharp eyed. When we drove back to home, Roni spotted between tree tops a big flock quite far. I pushed the pedal and we managed to reach the flock. About 300 Greater White-fronted Geese (Anser albifrons), perhaps some Brent geese also. And soon after that Eurasian Nutcracker (Nucifraga caryocatactes) flew over the road just in front of our car. Very nice, and both species were lifers for Roni!

In Valkeakoski there is now several flocks of Bohemian Waxwings (Bombycilla garrulus). They arrived about  a week ago, almost at the same time when the huge flocks of Fieldfares (Turdus pilaris) departed.

By the way, White-fronted Geese were for me the 6th milestone of autumn migration this year. Still waiting for the Redpolls and the big flocks of Goosanders (Mergus merganser) and finally just before lakes get frozen, the big flocks of Whooper Swans (Gygnus cygnus).



 White-fronted Geese, in Estonia, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment